Handy is a home services marketplace on a mission to disrupt the $400B home services market by seamlessly delivering every service to every home. Handy has fundamentally changed the way the world buys home services by making it as easy to buy a service online as it is to buy a product. We connect customers to vetted, independent local professionals at the tap of a button, while providing upfront pricing, customer choice in scheduling (no more pesky 4 hour windows), cashless payments and a service guarantee.
Started in 2012 by Oisin Hanrahan & Umang Dua, Handy has scaled to offer cleaning, installation and assembly services across the US, Canada and the UK. Handy offers its services both direct-to-consumer via our website and mobile apps and through partnerships with some of the largest retailers in the world, including Wayfair, Walmart, Lowes, Costco and more. As of 2019, Handy is an independently operated subsidiary of ANGI Homeservices (Nasdaq: ANGI), the world's largest home services marketplace including brands like HomeAdvisor and Angie's List. This milestone is allowing us to expand to hundreds of more home services to bring the Handy experience to millions of more customers and professionals.
About the Role
At Handy, we form small, high-impact teams and empower them to iterate rapidly. You'll be joining our Android team as a software engineer. Software engineers are some of the most skillful individual contributors in our teams. You will be collaborating with your team members (engineering, product, and operations) to build and release features/products to production at an extremely fast pace. Our engineers release Handy's native apps every week and release web features throughout the day.
What you will do:
- Be part of a team that builds impactful features for our customers and pros
- Breakdown a feature into releasable chunks, estimate release schedule, and work on the feature with your team
- Contribute to the architectural and design decisions your team makes and be able to articulate the impact of those decisions
- Contribute to code and design reviews, evangelize best engineering practices, and participate in Handy Lunch & Learn sessions
- Influence the team members to do "the right thing"
- Be part of our production on-call rotation
Who you are:
- A skillful engineer with at least 4+ years of experience developing mobile applications
- Proficient in Java and/or Kotlin
- Experience in building complex layouts and UI
- Familiarity with RESTful APIs to connect mobile applications to back-end services
- Experience writing unit tests and testable code
- Always eager to understand and solve impactful business problems
- A great collaborator with both technical and non-technical team members
- Have a thorough understanding of programming languages, databases, operating systems, data structures, algorithms, and complexity trade-offs
Also great if you have:
- Experience with major open source Android projects
- Knowledge of Android SDK and/or JVM performance tools and optimization techniques
- Ability to write server-side code in Ruby on Rails
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.