Handy is a home services marketplace on a mission to disrupt the $400B home services market by seamlessly delivering every service to every home. Handy has fundamentally changed the way the world buys home services by making it as easy to buy a service online as it is to buy a product. We connect customers to vetted, independent local professionals at the tap of a button, while providing upfront pricing, customer choice in scheduling (no more pesky 4 hour windows), cashless payments and a service guarantee.
Started in 2012 by Oisin Hanrahan & Umang Dua, Handy has scaled to offer cleaning, installation and assembly services across the US, Canada and the UK. Handy offers its services both direct-to-consumer via our website and mobile apps and through partnerships with some of the largest retailers in the world, including Wayfair, Walmart, Lowes, Costco and more. As of 2019, Handy is an independently operated subsidiary of ANGI Homeservices (Nasdaq: ANGI), the world's largest home services marketplace including brands like HomeAdvisor and Angie's List. This milestone is allowing us to expand to hundreds of more home services to bring the Handy experience to millions of more customers and professionals.
At Handy we form small, high-impact teams and empower them to iterate rapidly on delivering the best service experience for our customers, Pros, and partners. An engineering manager is the most seasoned engineer responsible for both technical leadership and personnel management in a team. As an engineering manager you will be leading and mentoring a team of engineers, own large parts of our products and influence technical and product decisions. You are expected to collaborate across the organization with technical and non-technical peers, grow a team that delivers sound technical solutions to challenging problems, champion the team's impact to the business, and continuously grow as an engineer and manager.
In a typical week as an engineering manager, you might:
- Hold one-on-ones with your direct reports or skip-level reports
- Participate with product manager in office hours to turn product hypotheses into specifications
- Plan the most important projects to work on next alongside a product manager
- Review or prepare non-abstract system design for a technical solution
- Investigate and fix a production issue
- Build and lead skillful software engineering teams to deliver impactful products
- Establish metrics and practices that champion engineering and operational excellence and review them regularly
- Establish, practice, and continuously improve an effective and transparent product development process
- Provide technical leadership and guidance to both your team members and your peers
- Set clear expectations and create a positive work environment based on collaboration, empowerment, and accountability with the engineering and management teams
- Operate strategically and tactically. Work on strategy and help set direction while staying on top of the day to day software development.
- BA/BS in Computer Science or a related degree or equivalent practical experience.
- 8+ years of professional experience architecting, developing, and shipping software products and/or services
- 3 years of hands-on technical leadership and people management experience.
- Able to thrive in a fast-paced, high-growth startup environment that respects its engineers and customers
- You've shipped complex projects with teams of engineers
- You have significant experience with Ruby on Rails
- You've worked at a rapidly iterating business
- You've built or operated a two-sided marketplace
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.